Sunday, February 1st was the annual Mardi Gras Marathon and 1/2 Marathon. The 1/2 marathon that I was supposed to run. :( I was all registered, trained and ready to then I got my bad news about my stress fracture. I have been very bummed out about it so I decided that I would volunteer at the race Expo on Friday so at least I could participate in some way. It was acutually fun, I was working the registration table so I got to meet and wish good luck to hundereds of runners. I even treated myself to a new t-shirt that says "In my dreams I'm a Kenyan":)
My friend Mary was walking/jogging the 1/2 so I lived through her on Sunday:) We were at the start at 7 a.m. and I got to watch everyone run off. It was acutally amazing. I have always been in the middle of the crowd nervous etc, but Sunday I climbed up on a sign so I could get a view from above and it gave me chills. 7,400 people were registered.
I had to restrain myself when the gun went off , but after Mary left I started my journey to different miles to cheer her on. As her coach I had worked up a map where she would be at what time and she had a printed version on her water bottle.
I watched the race from about 5 different mile points. At mile 3 I saw the front runners come by and they were looking fast. Santilla from track came in 3rd female and Kelly 6th. I knew about 30 people or so that were running the race so I had plenty of people to cheer for. I met Mary at the finish line of course and I think about 15 people must have asked me how I did, guess they didn't notice I was in jeans.... which I had wore so I won't be temped to run!
It was nice seeing some of my track friends that I haven't seen in the past few weeks. Of course I was jealous of everyone that went running by, but this was a neat experience to be the spectator for once. I hope it was a one time experience though next time I want to be IN the race!


3 comments:
You really are the best running coach ever! I wish I was still there to take advantage of your services! Remember the time I sort of got hit by a car while we were sort of running? That was sort of funny.
I was about to say that maybe you should be my running coach, but noticed Jude's comment that she was hit by a car while in your care...think I will pass!
Oh that was actually funny when Jude got it. I think the guy who "hit" her pissed his pants he was so scared!
Post a Comment