Monday, May 4, 2009

Caters



This blog is for my friend Kathleen. I mentioned that is was caterpillar (or "Caters" as Adam's 6 year old twin nieces like to call them) season and how I hate running this time of year for fear of one falling on me or heaven forbid I step on one.... gross!
Anyway Kathleen said that she was not familiar with caterpillar season, she lives in Dallas.

So here's the scoop...
Caterpillar season in New Orleans is April/ May when these little furry looking stinging bugs infest the trees! I mean sometimes they cover the trunks, branches etc. It's quite disgusting. Not only do they infest the trees, the fall from the trees ALL over the sidewalks, some places it's hard not to step on one. People do all kinds of funny things to keep them from getting in the trees like coveing the trunks in foil... I don't even think that stops the, these things are soliders....

Foil covered trees...






some "caters" on the sidewalk

2 comments:

Angele said...

I hate this season too!!!

Julie Fonseca (yes, it's an alias) said...

I forgot all about caterpillar season! I saw a few in NY, but they weren't the stinging kind. I hope we don't get them in Houston!